Pam Davey

Mental Health

There are a lot of things that come under the heading of mental health issues : Depression, panic attacks, anxiety, body dysmorphic disorder, bipolar... just to name a few. 

As someone who has suffered mental health problems for many years and has been on medication for depression and anxiety since the age of 16 (so many years) and will be on those meds for the rest of my life I am able to talk quite openly about it. For many people though , when first diagnosed they are reluctant to open up about it as there is still a huge stigma attached to mental health. 

I found out recently that you can self refer to MIND. If you suffer with depression, anxiety or stress then contact your local MIND and request a form. Make sure you put on the form what it is you suffer with. 

The following link lists information on quite a number of mental health issues.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/

• Like 1

I know someone who is going through a bad time having flashbacks, panic attacks etc now and have suggested self referral.  She has been to the doctors and they got in touch with Mental Health team who have sent a letter suggesting a 60 minute phone session first which is no good for her. I believe she has complex PTSD and with therapy I hope she can start to feel better in herself x

• Like 1

The mental health system is bad. My son has social anxiety and hardly leaves the house and the GP gave him a number to ring for phone support. That was several years ago and he couldn't cope with it so still hasn't had any help. Hafod only offer about 6 sessions. I hope your friend gets the help they need